Then I came across an easy homemade shower/tub/tile cleaner that promised to erase tough stains, soap scum, and hard water deposits. It was also safe for fiberglass tubs and showers. And it wasn’t just one person’s opinion; I found dozens upon dozens of reviews for this cleaner all over the web and even from some friends that had been using this mixture for years! We had everything on hand, so I gave it a go.
This is what you will need:
Homemade Shower Cleaner and Soap Scum Remover:
- a spray bottle (I did buy a better spray bottle after my first use)
- 1-part Dawn dishwashing liquid (I start with 1-Cup)
- 1-part white vinegar (After the first batch, I changed to “Cleaning” vinegar. It has a little bit higher acidity and really cleans well!)
- Measure out equal amounts of Dawn soap and white vinegar. (Somewhere between one and two cups of each should be plenty.)
- Heat the white vinegar in your microwave until hot, then pour it into your spray bottle.
- Pour the Dawn soap into the bottle with the vinegar, then put the lid on and gently shake to mix.
When using, make sure your bathroom is as well-ventilated as possible. The first time I used it, my wife had a fit that the odor was going to stay around for days! Turn on the fan and open any windows, because this stuff is POTENT. It smells really strongly of vinegar right after spraying it, but the smell does dissipate fairly quickly. But the end result is well worth your home smelling like a pickle jar for an hour or so, I promise!
Scott Patterson, as a home inspector has the opportunity to visit hundreds of homes a year and see's first hand what a clean bathroom can do for the sale of a home! If you are planing on selling your home, those bathrooms must look like a 5 Start hotel bathroom! Sparkling Clean!