I noticed that every time I took a shower at my home I would almost always start coughing during and after the shower. After I was finished with the shower my coughing would lessen and I would seem to get better. I also noticed that when I was out of town and staying in a hotel that I seldom coughed when taking a shower.
Now, I’m not a rocket scientist but it does not take one to figure out that the shower was the common denominator in my coughing. After looking at the shower head I noticed black and green slime inside some of the showerhead holes and then after spraying it with a household bleach I noticed the slime (mold) disappeared. Now showerheads are not expensive and can be replaced for under $20 for a simple showerhead. So, after a trip to the local hardware store I had a new and mold free showerhead installed in my shower.
Guess what? The coughing attacks are no more! It was as simple as replacing our 10 year old showerhead. I honestly feel that my overall health has also improved and with an $18 showerhead.
So, if your showerhead has any signs of abnormal growth or deposits on it, go ahead and do yourself and family a favor and replace it. They are simple to replace, and the rewards can be great.
Scott Patterson has been a professional home inspector since 1995 and works out of the Greater Nashville TN area. You can contact him at his office 615-302-1113 or on his cell at 615-870-4162 via text or voice.